Monday, November 26, 2012
Equator.
We are now traveling through the Indonesian Archipelago (that's another new big word for you Ana), though we catch only an occasional glimpse of an island. What we do see are minuscule fishing boats sprinkled in our path and we are continually zig-zagging to avoid them. Imagine what it must be like to see this colossus bearing down on you, not knowing which way to turn to escape being crushed.
There has not been much wild life to be seen, excepting the 1,000 or so Aussies that joined us in Singapore. We have seen shoals of flying fish that seem to be no bigger than small sardines or butterflies. They skim away across the waves, occasionally dipping their lower tail fin into the crests, wiggling furiously, leaving a serrated wake as they speed up for a further few metres.
We have been moved to a balcony cabin, closer to the stern but ten storeys up and it is amazing how quiet it is here. The seas have been so calm that, without looking outside we feel as if we are in a hotel on land. I am hoping for a good Tasman storm later on!
Another character inboard who has delighted us is called Magic Mike who leads Zumba dance sessions. I call him Black Magic as he is one of the most superb specimens of humanity I have seen. Anne is so captivated by him that she even tried a few sessions! Unfortunately I don't have a photo of her, but I did manage one of him!
Bear with me, as I have a couple more comments. One is about the direction in which water in the toilet swirls in different hemispheres. Mythology has it that it is clockwise in the northern hemisphere, but this reverses as one crosses the equator. This is hogwash, as you can easily demonstrate in your sink anytime. However there is one direction in which the flush is different. In England, toilets flush south whereas in the Antipodes they flush north. Fortunately!
We have also noticed a definite improvement in the air down south. We can now see the horizon and the sky seems to be a deeper blue. So nice to be back!
We had a crossing equator ceremony in which novices had to "kiss the fish"!
Photos.
1. The ceremony.
2. The fish.
3. The kiss.
4. Black Magic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Oh that is Black Magic! I still have faint memories of crossing the equator aged 5 and being fascinated/frightened by all the stories.
Post a Comment